Friday, December 8, 2017

I Thought I was Lazy: The Invisible Day to Day Struggle of Autistic Women

I thought I was Lazy: The Invisible Day to Day Struggle of Autistic Women

"My inability to properly plan ahead and complete daily tasks has dwarfed my personal growth and well-being since I moved away from home seven years ago. I live in a constant state of disorder, expressed through missed appointments, forgotten text messages, and errands and assignments that take twice as long than my peers to complete. Even tidying the garbage littered across my apartment feels too overwhelming. My poor organizational and cleaning skills have fractured my relationships, prevented me from thriving in jobs, and in the process, destroyed my self-worth."

"But every time I look at my messy room, I am reminded of this disheartening fact: So long as my friends, family, and therapists recognize me as allistic, my executive differences will always be interpreted as a personal failure."

This one is the story of my life. I am always behind on everything. I don't have a job or kids to take care of either. My medical tasks fill up a lot of the day, even now I am thinking about meds I got to take and getting the energy to wrap my legs. Things really are more complicated for Aspies in this way. I'm never going to be a great cleaner, there's no way.

1 comment:

  1. you want complex problems , try being both on different streets of the autistic spectrum ...lol ...hes ill and im struggling ,even the visits to the hundred and one different doctors are a nightmare , hes got short term memory problems and im struggling with sensory overload badly for the first time in years , usually i just avoid these situations but i cant because hes really ill this time

    ReplyDelete